Deep Breaths...

Last year sometime I decided that I was going to apply to graduate school. I have always wanted to get a Masters Degree, partly for me, somewhat for the security that comes from more education, and partly because I am too competitive with my extremely brilliant spouse. So I hoed and hummed and dragged my feet for several months and then finally signed up to take the GRE (GRE=test of death). The GRE did not go well, let just leave it at that. However, way back in December I applied to grad school anyway.

Well since we will be paying off law school student loans for eons to come I decided that I needed to go to a state school, after all that is why we live in VA and not DC. So there is really only one Sate University within reasonable distance that had the masters program I was looking for; that's right folks, despite what my mother taught me I put all my eggs in one basket and applied to only one school!

Then came waiting, so I waited, then the school informed me that there were changes within the department and it would be a while longer. So I waited some more, two more months to be exact. Then I gave up hope and convinced myself that I did not really want to go to grad school, that I really had little hope of getting in, and that teaching ballet was my new career and damn it I was going to good at it. But I emailed the university and asked if they had made a decision anyway - to which I was told they had and I would get a letter soon. Then I waited some more, it was painful, I was stalking the postman. 

Well the letter finally came! And after getting the mail and while walking to the car to get the groceries I tore the damn thing open and upon seeing the word "congratulations" I started to cry. Apparently I did want to go to grad school after all! It was such a relief to have a direction in life again, to feel successful, and to get something I really wanted. But then the fear set in, the fear of going back to school, the fear of the unknown and of the debt that I would accrue in the process. I lied awake at night for hours going over and over in my head whether or not I was making the right choice and if I could really handle grad school. However, sleepless nights, debt and doubts aside I have decided to go for it.

So as of Fall 2011 I will be attending George Mason University working towards my Masters in Public Health (MPH) - Go Patriots!

14 comments:

  1. yay for you Steph! So proud of you! What an exciting adventure! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome Steph!!! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am so glad you got in! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm so glad you got in! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. this is Hollie, not Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Steph, I think that's great. Scary, but so awesome. You'll do so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is seriously so awesome. I really admire you for doing it. You are a good example to me! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you!!! That is an exciting step.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl! Congrats!! You are going to do amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great! You were amazing to work with because of all your mad organizational skills, you'll do great in a grad program.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for you!!! I vote to be the hostess of your stress-less parties after the finals are over!!! (or any time in between when studying needs to go out the window ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome for you :) Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go You!. That's very exciting, I wouldn't have expected anything less. Exciting road ahead...

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs