It's not broken, I'm just stupid!


So before I left Utah my mother and grandmother (aka: the sewing wonders) gifted me a sewing machine. Now mind you I don't know how to sew, you see in my early years I was to busy ballerinaing it up to learn how. However, I decided to give the whole sewing thing a try, after all how hard could it be.


So while at WalMart (aka: Gods gift to poor college students and Mormons with 50 kids) I bought myself a pattern and some material and following a pep talk from Mother I was ready to go. I pulled out the Sewing Machine and remembering the brief tutorial my mom gave me a month or so back I attempted to thread the damn thing...well my friends it all went down hill from there.

The machine would not thread, in fact the round thing on the side that moves the needle up and down would not rotate forward. So I called my mom, explained the issue, she had no idea what could be wrong after all she had just paid to service the machine and had used it only a few weeks prior. So then I took the damn thing apart (because after all I have a college degree in Health Promotion which is clearly applicable to sewing machine repair) and could not figure out what the issue could be. And then I gave up and cried!


LB came home and suggested I take it in to be fixed, I dramatically claimed that it would cost way too much but that I would call around anyway and see. So I found a repair shop in Alexandria that said they would look at it for free and then let me know how much it would cost and if it was even worth fixing.


So yesterday I drove to Alexandria to the Sun Sew Vac shop to have my sewing machine looked at. And big surprise there was absolutely nothing wrong with it! The idiot that is me just had the damn thing switched to fill a bobbin and not to sewing mode. The gentleman at the shop was very sweet, he took the time to show me how to use the machine, and how to push the little lever over so that the machine would work. I told him that my mother would be mortified to find out that I was this domestically stupid. He claimed that I was not dumb and that the only way one would know to push the lever was if they used the machine a lot. After the brief lesson he carried my sewing machine out to my car and told me to come back if I had any other problems. I am sure he had a good laugh after I drove away... after all if the rolls were reversed I would have been rolling on the ground.


Come to find out the little shop offers a class titled "Getting to Know Your Machine" and if I get up enough courage to show my face again I will be signing up!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for so many reasons!! Way to take it in--I'm sure the man was glad to share some sewing-love to someone who wants to learn! You should TOTALLY take the class!! DO IT!

    ps...I totally have your umbrella!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man alive, I love reading your stories about all these crazy adventures, they make me laugh out loud! I didn't realize your husband was going to Georgetown, that's one of the schools my husband is thinking of applying to -but not for another year and half-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoma Lee & Ron OlsenSeptember 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM

    The most important lesson here is that you had enough guts to ask for help - big BIG lesson! And you will love the class - love you!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs